Computers, like other hardware, are prone to issues and failures. And because computers use so much, the components fail us quite often. If it is a giant business machine and a part fails, it can easily be replaced. But if it is a small computer, everything is cramped in a smaller space, and most of the parts which are user replaceable are soldered onto the laptop motherboard.
In this scenario, the options are limited, and, in most cases, the motherboard replacement would be required to make things work properly again.
There can be various issues, and all of these require different steps to be undertaken to resolve those issues. Below are the solutions listed on the power button failure.
These solutions can be tried one by one in no particular order of preference to enable you to start the laptop if the laptop’s power button stops working and you have to start it.
Why is the power button not working?
Power Button Failure
If the power button on your laptop stops working, you are in a fix, or you need a solution to make your laptop work and the know-how to turn on the laptop without using the power key.
But luckily, there are ways around it, and unless you have thought about it beforehand and have prepared for it, it may require you to pry open your laptop and employ some hardware tweaks and tricks to make it work.
This article gives you various options on how to turn on a laptop without using the power button.
Some may require software settings, while others are hardware solutions. The solutions may differ for various makes and models, so specific solutions have been offered for you to try out and see which ones work for you.
Use an External Keyboard
You could use an external keyboard with a power button key in a Windows laptop to power up your laptop easily. However, there may be one issue: the keyboard may not function properly as the connection to which it is attached asleep.
To circumvent that possibility, you may try to connect the external keyboard to the USB that has a power sign on it. This USB would likely work as it is used to power the peripherals attached to the system. If this solution works, it is the easiest and most hassle-free of all the solutions listed below.
Wake on LAN feature
Most modern laptops have a wake-on LAN feature. It is present on almost all business laptops and some consumer laptops too.
It enables the team to access a particular system using software like Microsoft Teams or TeamViewer App without having physical access to the laptop itself. The software sends a signal to the computer, asking it to turn on. This option is available in both Mac and Windows systems.
But the Wake on LAN feature can be used only if it has been turned on in the BIOS setting. It is usually found in the Advanced or Networking tab in the BIOS. Once you have turned it on and set it up in the software, it gives you the easiest option to turn on the laptop without the power button.
In addition to the above, the option of allowing the Network Adapter to wake up the laptop must also be checked.
- You will have to go to the Device Manager. The Device Manager can be accessed by clicking on the Start Menu button and selecting the Device Manager option.
- After this, select the Network Adapters option from the Hardware devices listed there and open it.
- From the list of Network Adapters, choose the one that corresponds to the LAN port of the laptop and select its properties.
- You will have to check the option of “Allow this device to wake up the computer”.
- Do not forget to check the option of allowing it through a magic packet if that option corresponds to your needs.
- When these settings are in place, a signal from an external device could start your computer.
Pre-defined key option
Some laptops allow users through a BIOS setting to define a key on the keyboard to act as a power key to turn on the laptop. The feature must be set up in advance for it to be used later.
The ‘Power on by Keyboard’ setting is mostly hidden in the BIOS Advanced or Power Management tabs.
In most Dell and Hp laptops, under Power Management Settings, there is a setting, namely ‘Power on by Lid’, which, if turned on, would turn the laptop on when the lid is opened.
Macs, particularly some MacBook Pros, come with the autoboot option enabled that turns on the system when you plug in your system or open the lid. It’s on the left side of the Touch Bar.
Power Button fixes
Power buttons fail, and the easiest hardware fix is to replace the faulty power button with a new one that works.
For the installation of the power button, the laptop needs to be opened up, usually from the backside and the back plate removed. Then remove the battery and the motherboard, taking care of the placement of everything as the stuff you have to remove has to be put back together again in the same way for your machine to work properly.
The power button usually lies above the keyboard or on one side. Hence, it is only after you have removed the motherboard and possibly the keyboard as well, depending upon the model of your laptop, that you can gain access to it. Once it is replaced, put everything back together and restart it.
A quick fix that can be tried to boot up your laptop is to short the power button terminals on the motherboard with a screwdriver. You must be careful, though, while trying not to touch any other terminals on the board.
Removing the clock battery
Another method that requires the removal of the motherboard and the battery is the removal of the clock battery.
This method requires the same tools used in opening the laptop. With a screwdriver and prying tools
- Open up the laptop’s back cover and remove the large laptop.
- After that, remove the small clock battery, which is also known as the CMOS battery.
- This battery may be found on the motherboard’s other side, and to reach it, the motherboard may have to be removed.
- On removing the CMOS battery, the BIOS is reset to its default settings.
- Once the larger laptop battery is put back and its terminals are connected, the laptop will power up automatically.
- Now you can enter the BIOS or system settings to make necessary adjustments for the next boot-up.
Using AC Power
Another simple way to turn on the laptop is to use just the AC power to power up your laptop. However, this method would still require the opening up of the laptop.
To use this method:
- Open up the back lid of the laptop.
- Remove the battery from the laptop by severing its connection to the motherboard.
- Locate the power button and the cables or link that connects it to the motherboard.
- Remove the power button and the associated connecting cables.
Then put together the laptop without its power button and the battery. Now connect the laptop charger to the mains and connect it with the laptop. This would make the laptop power up immediately. Now you can put the battery back in carefully, not shortening it. And you can use the laptop normally now.